View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #52
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Dan Simmons - Hyperion. The entire cantos.
This, for sure. Brilliant stuff. Some of my other SF favorites are Oryx & Crake and Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, Spin by Robert Charles Wilson, The Sparrow by Maria Doria Russell, Old Man's War by John Scalzi, THe Risen Empire/Killing of Worlds by Scott Westerfeld, Contact by Carl Sagan.

For Fantasy: Chronicles of Prydain by lloyd Alexander and Harrry Potter are my favorite series. Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimer Bradley is awesome. I enjoyed the Hobbit but gave up on FOTR partway through. Also enjoyed Games of Thrones but gave up on the second one halfway through.

I've been meaning to check out some of the other leading adult fantasy writers of today like Scott Lynch, Terry Goodkind, Steven erikson, Trudi Canavan, Patrick Rothfuss, etc. But haven't gotten around to it yet. You know how it is, so many books, so little time

p.s. if anyone can suggest any good, literate modern fantasy writers please let me know!

Last edited by usuallee; 09-26-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: p.s.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote