View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #63
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Yes, that worries me too. It might become a ghetto where the same people end up saying the same things over and over again. Or is it that already? I'm really not sure where I stand on this whole issue.

I agree also with rhadin about "debates" not being real debates, but that is a very general issue, and they are still useful, maybe even necessary.
I think there have been, especially recently, some nice discussions which have, as mentioned prompted some to seek out new reading material. I have found that it is quite nice to be able to discuss with others that are obviously readers topics that may certainly be sensitive that we don't get to discuss every day. after all, debating religion with someone from the other side of the world is not something that most of us are able to do at the local cafe! it brings a welcome addition to my mental workouts at least! I agree, I think with any forum where open discussion is going to happen, these are two topics that will be broached. being able to do it in a sane civilized fashion is quite welcome. I think you got it right Florence, it is necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
At the moment this thread is at the top of the announcements, and it's showing on the front page, so for the time being newcomers should be able to find it if they're interested enough in political and religious debate to read the thread.

Beyond that - maybe sticky this thread?
I dunno, it probably took me about a year to find my way into announcements, I guess I thought it was more technically oriented, and never really gave it a fair shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
***I do wonder how new people are to find it***

New people don't come here for reilious and political debate -- plenty of forums on the net dedicated to that -- but because they want to know about ereading devices, ereading and ewriting. Otherwise they'd have gone elsewhere. Neil
I have been to a lot of the "elsewhere" places. there are many that are slanted to one side or the other, whether it be politics or religion. getting differing viewpoints is difficult on those boards. then there are other boards that are pretty much "anything goes" boards and if you hold any view other than the prevailing "group think" position, you are subject to horrendous flaming. being able to discuss topics here with people who share a passion for reading, and are slightly more intelligent that perhaps many of these other boards is a welcome change of pace!