Thread: Classic Nook buyers beware
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #21
Klaatu
Klaatu doesn't litterKlaatu doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
One thing I seem to be reading again and again and again is how battery life will be affected greatly by the LCD. People want 3 weeks between charging and anything less is a dealbreaker. I have a hard time understanding this. Do these people not have access to an electrical outlet anywhere? Do they never sleep? Do they wander the land on foot, reading as they go? And if so, how are they using a computer to visit forums to tell us that 10 days (or even 5 or 6) on a charge is why the nook should be avoided?

As far as I'm concerned, as long as it lasts 2-3 days on a charge, it doesn't matter to me how much longer it'll go. It's about as important to me as the box it came in.
I recently returned from a 3 week vacation in East Africa where my access to power outlets was limited to non-existent for days at a time. The amount of time the battery in my Sony PRS505 lasted was very important to me. Admittedly I wasn't reading for hours at a time for days on end, but the fact that I can got at least 2 weeks between charges with regular reading was good to know while I was on this trip. It meant I didn't have to worry about the battery dying and not being able to charge it.

So if the Nook battery is only rated for 10 days between charges, that can be a concern to those of us that might travel for extended periods. But I haven't seen anything that says what B&N is basing this estimate on, so the battery could very well last longer.

Regards,
Michael
Klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote