View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 01:42 AM   #245
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I haven't read the whole thread (yet), but one point that may or may not have been mentioned is the aborted attempt to reverse the ghettoization that happened to the genre called "science fiction". I remember many years ago, when some authors and editors were trying to encourage use of the term "speculative fiction" instead, which tried to take off some of the onus of cheesiness. It never really took hold though, and I don't see very many places using the term any more.

And I agree that some of Atwood's writing definitely falls in the speculative mode. Don't foreget "Oryx and Crake", and "Year of the Flood." Both of them are great, but yeah, "Handmaid's Tale" is one of my all-time favorites, I've read it 4 or 5 times, and get something new each time.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote