View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #407
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
I very much enjoyed The Doomsday Book, though Jenny Sterling isn't as engaging a reader as Katherine Kellgren. I agree that Connie Willis is heavy on historical details and I am surprised I enjoyed it so much since I am not really a fan of historical fiction, either. I think it must be her characters I like.

I recommend you stay away from Blackout/All Clear then, because it also reads much more like historical fiction than science fiction.
Drat, I bought those two during a BOGO sale. I'm not a big fan of science fiction either, but I really didn't consider Doomsday to be very science fictiony.

I liked 11/22/63 and loved Unbroken (not fiction, but definitely historical) which are probably the two stories closest to this that I've tackled lately, so history isn't a no go for me entirely. I think the problem with Doomsday was the pace and the audiobook format exaggerates this, since it's much slower than reading. Maybe I'll try Blackout/All Clear on 2X speed.

Last edited by Synamon; 01-03-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote