View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
hempel24

cromag has some good points.

First, check out the size you want. Unless your hands are small the 10.1 might have too tiny a keyboard. It does for me. I am a touch typist and I play the typing keyboard like I do the musical keyboard. I want the keys to be where I expect them.
Second, the keys that are flush with their surroundings, not raised, are a pain to me. Avoid them.
That said, an 11.6" screen or even a 12.1" screen should indicate a large enough keyboard to be comfortable on but still try to check it out first hand.
Once those things are straight, think about the screen. I like a bright screen and the ability to view at a wide angle isn't so important unless you will be typing on two machines and just want to glance over at one occasionally from the side.

After the above, look for battery life.

The new chromebooks which are 11.6" and the older ones which were 12.1" are a second possibility that you might consider. That will require a new way of thinking though. Just like ubuntu.

If you only want to change the size of the machine, stick with XP or W7 and I wouldn't try W8 as yet. You can use Office.
If you like Apple, the Air has a 11.6" machine and is excellent in all other ways though 2 to 3 times more expensive. Also Office.

On the low cost side, Acer has some new netbooks on Amazon for $250. Again best to be careful with the 10.1 or even smaller models. I would avoid them.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote