View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #27
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
My ebook library is currently around 2,000 items. I've bought the vast majority of those (1392 at fictionwise, 700 or so at webscription.net, a few elsewhere). I've read about 1600 of them.
4 out of 5 is a very good ratio, considering the sheer volume of your paid purchases. You're reading almost as much as you buy and certainly seem to be getting your money's worth; keep it up!

I just crunched the numbers and I've deliberately gone and paid for* (own pocket or using gift certificate funds I could have bought paper books with) 283 individual e-book titles thus far (I fully expect there will be more before the end of the month).

Out of these, 31 are magazines, 49 are anthologies or short story/essay collections, and 28 are "pre-read" books for which I bought a discounted e-book copy of something I already own/enjoyed from the library.

That leaves me with 175 new-to-me self-contained books or standalone short stories to finish (since I skip uninteresting stories in compilations thus can't be said to have completely read the contents).

Of that number (discounting re-reads of the pre-reads), I've thus far fully read 56 out of them, which works out exactly 32%.

Probably the best scenario to improve this is pray for rain, since I can't read paper books inside a ziplock baggie while waiting for the bus.

Because I'm certainly not likely to stop buying any time soon.

* This is not counting "free-with-purchase", such as the nearly-complete Vorkosigan Saga CD that came bundled with my Cryoburn hardcover or "felicitous giveaway/promo I would have bought anyway" as when I received a complimentary copy of an e-book by way of apology after a direct-from-publisher sale I'd been fully intending to purchase it from expired early†.

† For those who want to know how this story ends, I then went and bought a further 11 books from the publisher's next sale at a cost that was roughly 8 times what I would have paid for the initial sale book which was generously given to me free.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote