View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 01:27 AM   #9
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who are you? View Post
Also many people who work for or own ereader/file format/publishing companies or are writers post here mostly for personal reasons and not because of their work.
Perhaps, perhaps not. It's called "conflict of interest." When their relationship with those companies is not revealed, we have no way of judging whether their statements may or may not be influenced by their relationships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who are you?
The people crying censorship and claiming moderators are in the pocket of Sony and Amazon in the Astak thread were way off base in my opinion.
Although I was trying to avoid the specific issue of Astak vrs Sony/Amazon/etc, you opinion presents me with a problem: I don't know whether you're associated with an ebook/ereader company, so I have no way of assigning any value to your opinion. The point I was trying to make is that "knowing who people are" (in the sense of what products they favor and what companies they might favor) is about the only way opinions can be given any value besides having a long history of exchanging opionions and developing a track record.

Quote:
As for your claim that the forum would be MUCH healthier with your changes, I think you first need to show that the forum is not healthy as it is.
Nonsense. It was clearly stated as my opinion, and was not represented as fact. It was my opinion that opinions are pretty worthless when you don't know who's opinion they are. Most folks in this forum have the usual "on-line avatar" names that completely hide who they are, and that inherently renders their opinions, as it does mine, as well, of course , far less useful. Only with knowledge about the person providing the opinion can any value be attached to the opinion.

Quote:
The same with you saying that which device a moderator owns influences their moderating.
That seems pretty self-evident to me. We're all human beings, after all, not machines (well, most of us...), and EVERYTHING we do and experience affects EVERYTHING we think and do. NOTE: I am NOT accusing any of the moderators of any form of bad or poor behavior. I think they do a pretty fine job. I'm suggesting that the more we, the users, know about the moderators, the more trust (hopefully) we can have in the actions they do or don't take and the decisions they make. Same goes for knowing what devices individual users favor or own, and what (relevant) companies people work for.

Have you ever bought a new car, a type of car you've never owned before, and suddenly you start noticing all of the other cars of that type on the road that you've never noticed before? It's the natural filtering that the human brain does, and it WILL and DOES affect what we 'see', what we 'notice' and thus what we THINK. Sometimes to a small degree, sometimes to a large degree. But it all comes back to assigning VALUE and TRUST to the opinions of others. That only comes with knowledge.

Everett
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote