Thread: Classic Anyone get to try the Nook?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #57
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaloney View Post
I went back to B&N today to check the demos out again. After the update that B&N pushed out last night, the responsiveness of the demo units definitely seems to be improved. Good work with resolving that quickly, B&N!

I was able to get the swipe feature to work properly, though it definitely is a bit of a knack to work it. For normal paging while reading, this is not an issue for me (I'd be using the physical buttons anyway), but if they improve the responsiveness of this (while still preventing accidental swipes), this can be a good way to relatively quickly flip through a document.
I went back and was even more frustrated by the slow responsiveness of the nook. The swiping to turn pages is completely useless. It takes more time to swipe a finger across the screen (and two hands, usually) than it does to tap the next page button. The only reason I can think of for why the feature was included is that some people will think it's fun. Not something I would use while reading, though.

I've been wondering about the slow screen refresh. Do any of you think it could be the ereader format? I know Amazon's TOPAZ format takes longer to refresh on the Kindle. Has anyone tried ePub on the nook? Or could it be the software? At least software or format issues are easily resolved. Hardware not so much. How does the nook's hardware measure up to the Kindle?
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote