View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 03:23 AM   #12
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The Kobo partners in Australia seem to have done an amazingly bad job supporting Kobo users there. If people in Oz don't know that there is new desktop software or that an update to 1.4 is available, I can only assume it is because Borders there has chosen not to tell their customers about it or that they have, but some users of Kobo readers there are so unused to technology that they do not know that updating is an accepted and expected part of technology ownership and maintenance.
I would again have to disagree a tad there. Paul from Borders has been an active participant within the Whirlpool Kobo thread and supplied me the links to the firmware upgrade stickied here.

He has been one of the more helpful and in touch representatives for Aussie Kobo owners.

You are correct though in regards to Aussie Kobo owners not knowing more readily about firmware and software updates. The issue though, was that the USB update was problematic and Aussies were not offered locally SD card updates. Paul from Borders provided links after I suggested it was a good idea to make them available, but he was the only company representative I was aware of, that participated in the very busy Whirlpool forum thread.

for those wanting a ready made SD card, the only recourse was contacting Kobo in Canada. I went down that path and though it took a while, received an SD card from them via Fedex.

Perhaps Kobo need to set up a technical support team here that works with both Borders and A&R. With a similar ethos and setup to the parent body, it would certainly streamline issues that arise.

To be fair, staff in bookshops sell books not ebooks and ereaders. The introduction of the Kobo ereader in local brick and mortar bookshops meant a much wider availability to those who had little or no exposure to the technical aspects of ereaders. Hence the problems begun. A learning curve for all involved.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote