View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #9
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
*looks at thread title* Because publishers are cheap and can't be bothered to hire the same editors & proofreaders they'd use for their mass-market paperback versions (and greedy, of course, for not passing the savings resulting from the lack of physical manufacturing, transportation, and storage on to the consumer).
I would be very surprised if publishers handled print editions and ebook editions of new books separately - everything's digital nowadays, it wouldn't make sense to have two production processes. If I have any beef with ebooks from big publishers it's exactly this: they sometimes don't seem to realise that reflowable text needs a little extra attention to make sure it works properly.

The book the writer is complaining about is Foucault's Pendulum, which was published in English in 1989. No ebooks back then. I would expect the more recent ebook edition to have been based on some sort of scanning process, which may be where the errors are coming from. No excuse for not checking it, though.

Last edited by MartinC; 10-30-2012 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Showing my age
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote