View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Now that is someone out of touch with Amazon's customer base.

There have been thousands of complaints to Amazon. Also in their general shop there was recently a revolt concerning the DRM on a computer game called spore. It's currently in the Amazon store, 3000+ reviews with 85%+ of those being 1 star and citing 'Draconian DRM' as the reason for the poor rating.

That is AFTER Amazon DELETED thousands of 1 star reviews which mentioned DRM. That should have been some kind of indication to Amazon that customers hate DRM.
Either out of touch or actively lying. There were still tons of defectivebydesign tags all over the Amazon store last time I checked.

As for the publishing guy, I'm not surprised he trotted out that old argument. I was disappointed the reporter didn't question him more. The fact is, there are books all over the darknet. There are already several formats out there that are easy to strip and enough people willing to scan and OCR that it's a moot point trying to stop piracy this way. It only takes one illegal copy getting out to mean that you have inconvenienced the rest of your customer base in vain. Like many others, I believe DRM is primarily for customer lock down. Besides, it's unreasonable to think you can stop piracy completely. If they want to discourage piracy, they need to do what the author said: make books easy to get and reasonably priced. Her entire series is available in electronic format and the first one's free. That's the way to sell books.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote