View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
My advice to the original poster of this thread is to watch a few tutorials on how to use Word, Acrobat, maybe InDesign and Illustrator, as well. The "Essential" libraries from lynda.com are excellent and I highly recommend them. Of course, there are also open-source alternatives (Adobe software is very expensive), such as LibreOffice, Inkscape, Scribus, GIMP, etc., which can do the job very well. I'm a fan of open-source software (Arch Linux is my primary OS), but I have to admit that Adobe has the flagship software for this industry.

My current workflow is to scan text in grayscale, at 300 dpi, JPG (~90% quality setting), and images (like the covers, pictures or other graphics) in colour, at 600 dpi, TIFF.

First I start with the graphics, using Photoshop to get the most out of them, and vectorize what I can by manually tracing them in Illustrator (again, the "Essential" training library from lynda.com should be enough). Then I run the scans through ABBYY FineReader, proofread it once, export as RTF, run a custom macro in Word 2010 SP1 that keeps only the bolds, italics, subscripts, superscripts and inserts the footnotes as in-line text (separated with tags, so I know where to place them later). This macro outputs a squeaky clean RTF, which I import into InDesign CS5.5 and start redoing the layout, based on styles. Here I sometimes use Scan Tailor, but just for 1:1 comparison when redoing the layout. Usually I batch rename the images from Scan Tailor to match the page number, so that it's easier to go back and forth.

And finally, I proofread again the final e-book, but this time on my e-reader, highlighting the parts that I may have missed or that just don't look right. As you can imagine, the quality is very high, but only after putting a lot of time into it. An e-book could take up to a month.

Good luck. Many people give up after the third book or so.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote