Thread: Silliness Quiz
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #10359
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Okay, I think it must be time for some answers, Iznogood.
Answer time is long overdue. Sorry I forgot the whole thing - I've had finals and problems at work on my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I think I killed the thread with my attempt at answers.
Quote:
Or maybe it was mine, so I'll share the guilt with you! May as well have a drink while we wait.
No need for guilt. I'm to blame on this matter. Your answers are very good and to a great extent correct.

Quote:
Against it man hath dashed his foot: rock or stone?

Dido bereft: happiness?

I imagine the gallows at Newgate were in front of the gaol, given that public hangings were popular in the past.
Man hath dashed his foot against stone - correct
Dido did leave happiness, love, life and a lot of other things. She also left her home - where was that? It starts with "T".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Just total guesses (so it's OK to laugh )....

The Dwellers of Lyn-dun: Celts? before William Wallace Galic?

Against it man hath dashed his foot: the earth?

Dido bereft: A woman or goddess? unconsolable?

Find Newgate Gaol, and win!: London? There was a bbc program about the prison being rebuilt more than once and it has moved I think.
These are great suggestions - so noone is laughing.
The name of the dwellers of Lun-dun is somewhat newer than the celts. They bear their name from a name of the area in which London lies, at least that's what I am informed. The name of this region is the fenland.

And yes - Newate Gaol was in front of Newgate Prison in London, where the public executions were arranged - as late as 1868. The best executioners in England were trained at this prison.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote