View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #51
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
This guy is comparing apples and oranges - almost literally if you capitalise the apple. Yes pads are becoming very popular, no, they will not replace computers or eReaders. They are cannot be used for gaming, nor are they good for business and they are not much good for prolonged reading. They are and always will be a compromise, one that many will happily make; but most would not choose a pad as their only computing device or primary eReader.

I have recently parked my iPad in a desk drawer after replacing it with a new Macbook Air. The Macbook is not much larger or heavier than the iPad, but it is a real computer with real power with all the advantages of both an iPad and and a computer.

Because of this surge in pad popularity a great many people are using them to read. Many of those same people - if they re-ignite an enthusiasm for reading - will then look to a dedicated reader. The eReader industry has probably reached a plateau, not a demise. I know of almost no one who doesn't own a tablet - mostly iPads, and one by one they buy an ePaper based reader. Eye strain after a few hours reading on an LCD screen is a very real problem. Those who stick with a pad for reading don't read much and so won't affect the eBook sales figures to any large extent.

This is all just another beat up, not researched, not well thought out, and not from a journalist; it is just a blogger's opinion.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote