View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #24
Amafan
Amafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3
I have both and NC and an iPad2

I bought an NC when they first came out. I continue to be impressed with the NC as a reader with its beautiful display, reading form factor, and user interface. The browser needs improvement and more apps will make it much better. The reader is fine. Battery life also needs improvement. The iPad battery life is a great improvement. Of course, neither the NC or the iPad beats the Kindle 3.

I cannot tell you how impressed I am with the iPad. The display is also beautiful and huge. I downloaded the Nook and Kindle for iPad apps so I do have access to all my libraries. PDFs are outstanding. Nothing does PDFs better than the iPad. With books from the iBook store you can do a side by side 2 page display which is nice. Battery life on the iPad is also good for this class of device. I've never come close yet to exhausting the battery in a day, making all day use and overnight charging possible. One thing that makes the NC necessary is subscriptions. If you are subscribed to magazine or newspapers through the Nook store, you cannot view them in the Nook iPad App as they are not compatible. Same with the Kindle. You also cannot view personal docs to the Nook or Kindle apps, although its easy to view them with the iPad if you have the right Apps.

I will probably rely on the iPad for its superior application base. I'm no longer tempted to root the NC as there is no reason for me to do that. I'll use my dedicated readers most of the time for reading with the caveat that I will probably use the iPad for reading when I travel. Who wants to travel with two or more devices and two chargers, etc.

Say what you will about Apple, Steve Jobs, and their marketing practices. They make a great device with a very useful ecosystem. The Ipad is a perfect example of that. In my mind it doesn't replace the NC, becuase its a jack of all trades device. The NC is optimized for reading.
Amafan is offline   Reply With Quote