View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #379
DocSouth
DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!DocSouth , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Paperwhite
Hey y'all, I'm a complete and utter novice when it comes to this kind of thing. I have a Paperwhite, paid the $20 to remove ad support, but after 2 months, I'm so tired of these screensavers I could scream. I decided to try to jailbreak it, but ran into a snag, I have been very diligent to install updates to firmware as they released and I'm currently running 5.3.3.

I realize I need to downgrade then upgrade to install the jailbreak. I looked through the threads I could find, and finally found a how to guide involving a K2. I downloaded 5.3.1 onto my PC, then plugged in my kindle. opened the root file and transferred 5.3.1 over. disengaged my kindle, opened settings, selected update your kindle. nothing happened.

So I went back, downloaded 5.1.0 onto my pc, plugged in kindle, removed 5.3.1 from root file (which I assume is the file the pops up when I open the kindle after plugging it in. That is where I put some calibre info, which works wonderfully.) I then added the 5.1.0.bin. disengaged kindle, settings, now Update Your Kindle is greyed out.

What do I do next? I'm trying to learn here, but old dog, new tricks. If you guys could help me, or point me towards a guide, that would be great. I know this is probably terribly intuitive, but I'm afraid computers and I don't always get along. I'm willing to learn though!
Thanks,
Doc
DocSouth is offline   Reply With Quote