View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Marshall, Are you my twin? Separated at birth? How is it that you mirror my opinions so closely.

First you format blog now this blog. Hmmm... Okay maybe not so close I have to agree with Sonist on his PDF comments.

One real question that you raised but not really made the connection was why Adobe is the Defacto Standard ....

While we talk about the superiority or dominance of MOBI vs ePUB vs LIT and vise-versa there is only one true De Facto standard today and that is PDF.

Statistics show that over 50% prefer PDF over the other formats. And though the majority of us prefer the other format to PDF, the mobile community is not the majority but only a small sector of the market.

What is more PDF has been in the market for years and is truly the most supported format. There are viewers in almost all OS and all mobile devices. You also see the continued dominance of PDF by models that are coming out. While model X or Y support an eBook format like MOBI/LIT/ePUB, they all support PDF.

What I though was a terrible marketing move by Adobe I now have to re-think and say it was brilliant. They have leveraged their PDF dominance and tied it with the ePUB format and DRM as one package.

This has put them in a position to monopolized the format/DRM wars. While Amazon has is on the radar, people are ignoring over the real threat.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 07-05-2009 at 12:11 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote