View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
I consider my electronic toys the same as audio/video equipment. I buy individual components for several reasons. If one "part" of an integrated system dies, you can still use the remaining system until the offending item is repaired or replaced without shutting everything off. If I want to upgrade my DVD player to BlueRay, I don't have to trash everything else to do it. If my LCD computer monitor goes bad, I replace only the monitor and use the old CRT that is still working. If my eReader dies, I can still read on my laptop or computer in a pinch. In addition, with the incredibly short lifespans of these expensive toys, I can't justify putting all my internet/reading/surfing capability into one device. I have a neighbor who is always chasing the edge of the envelope who bemoans the fact that the new Droid Bionic is out and one version 'better' than the one he had, so he 'had' to replace the old one. Tablets are a fad and provide me with nothing new. They are too big to stuff in a pocket, uncomfortable to hold in one hand, too short between charges, all but unreadable in normal sunlight, too small to adequately display magazine pages with color images, and they will be obsolete and replaced by yet another idea in 12 months.

But that's just my view. I haven't found anyone yet to whom I have recommended buying a tablet once they list their needs and think about it. That doesn't mean they don't have some value to some people.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote