View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #7
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan-V-Allied View Post
So, far every way I insert a chapter break causes the page on my reader to have a blank section after the last part of the chapter. Isn't there a way that the last chapter finnish's the a blank line then the start of the new chapter?
I'm not sure I understood what you wrote. Are you saying:
  • the last page of a chapter has enough blank lines to fill the remainder of the current page/screen, and the next chapter begins on the next page/swipe?
  • that the last page of a chapter is followed by one entirely blank page, so that you would have to page/swipe twice to get to the next chapter's text?

I'm not sure how the rest of the community here feels about whitespace in ebooks, but I generally recommend moderate whitespace amounts at the beginning and end of chapters. Approximately two lines of text is sufficient.

This is particularly necessary, IMO, at the end of a chapter because if the user scrolls downward (instead of paging/swiping) they hit the end of chapter and a page turn occurs, which replaces the text the user was reading. Without the ending whitespace, the user has to flip back and carefully reposition the text to read, but not so far as to cause a page turn again.

Why two blank lines? Because some users have "insert a blank line between paragraphs" on. For these users a single blank line isn't sufficient whitespace for them to recognize the end of chapter. Two lines are required to do that.

Last edited by Sabardeyn; 07-03-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote