View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I saw it differently. My view is that she was revived by spite - Ethan was now having to live with the shell of a ruined Mattie, and be faced with the reality of what he had done every day for the rest of his life, and Zeena was happy to look after Mattie in order to perpetuate that torture.
I agree...and fits the twisted end and bleak nature of this story.

I can honestly say I would never, never have picked this book to read on my own....and now I am very glad to have been introduced to the writings of Edith Wharton.

1. Oh....the writing was marvelous! I got lost in the words.
2. It was a bitter, sad story in a bleak setting--glad it was short. I don't think I could endure the waffling of Ethan more than the very suitable length of this story.
3. The end---total surprise. Knew the story had no good ending...had no idea it would take the turn into, well, suicide attempts and lifelong consequences.
4. The triangle is supposed to be such a strong and stable shape--but never really works in matters of the heart, does it?
5. I find that his unrealized dreams bother me the most. Makes me want to reach for my own dreams while I can.

Last edited by Bookatarian; 12-22-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote