View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 03:29 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glottalpoly View Post
In Calibre in the “Subject” field I have classified my books using Dewey. Thus on the Left Hand Side in Calibre, as well as the usual “Author … Series … Publisher..” I have “Subject” which provides a hierarchical structure (see picture). E.g.
300Anthropology
500NaturalScience
...... 500NaturalScience.510Maths
.............500NaturalScience.510Maths.512Algebra

This provides “automatic” subject filtering in Calibre. I am trying to do the same in CC.
You must have set it up to be a hierarchical column. CC does not support showing the hierarchy.
Quote:
The “OTB” CC gives me automatic Title, Author, Series (etc) Grouping. I added “#Subject” expecting the same to happen, but it seems to be treated very differently. I :
1. Click on “Group By #Subject” (expecting to see them grouped by …. Subject),
2. It prompts me to enter a search term.
3. I enter “512” (i.e. Algebra)
4. It tells me how many are in that “Group” but doesn’t display the list.
5. I THEN need to “Ungroup” them to display the list of books
6. I can then “Group By” (Author, Publisher etc)
So instead of a ONE click action, it is now a six click process. It seems that the user custom “Group”, functions more as a “Filter” rather than a Group. Is that correct ? How can I get it to behave as an actual “Group” ?
I am confused. Your process indicates you are tapping the search button (the magnifying glass), not the group button. Why are you doing this?

I suspect that you are seeing nothing when you tap on Group, #Subject. The reason is that you have "misspelled" the lookup name for the subject column. Lookup names never contain uppercase characters. In calibre, hover the mouse over the Subject column header or the tag browser category name, and you will see the lookup name. Enter this into CC exactly as it is spelled.

Do note that it is not an error to enter a lookup name into CC that does not exist in some (or all) books. If a person is using multiple libraries then it is very possible that some custom columns are in one library but not the other. However, we do know that lookup names must be lowercase, so we can (and will in the next release) auto-correct that mistake.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote