View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #36
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiri View Post
That makes sense. My apologies if my post in any way sounded other than constructive.
No apologies needed. It's a question that can be argued either way.

Quote:
The problem only arises if you do a lot of work on a book, say, from PG, and want to share your work with other people on these forums. In that case, since you have the source files, you can create a normal compression version for public consumption and a high compression one for yourself.
Or create a high compression version for public consumption, with an offer to spin a no compression or standard compression version for folks who wish it for one reason or another.

Most folks just want to read Mobi titles, hence my original question about whether the high compression option was known to work on all platforms that handled Mobi files. The number who want to manipulate them with MobiPerl will be a much smaller number, and the sorts of things they might want to do may be corrections of the "Yeah, you're right. It should have been like that to begin with. I'll create and post a corrected edition." once I'm aware of the problem. For that matter, I'd have no problem with providing my source files for people to create their own versions.

Quote:
I, of course, have no problem at all with anyone saving their own files however they like. If I understand these posts correctly, the only problem is that tompe's superb MobiPerl scripts won't work with high compression files. At this point it seems that something has to give - either use normal compression, or don't have access to tompe's MobiPerl tools, I guess.
Precisely.

I'm waiting to hear if documentation for the high compression algorithm exists. I suspect not. They state on their forums that they can't use standard zip compression because they need to be able to start uncompressing at any point in the file, and zip requires starting from the beginning, so they appear to have a complex algorithm that takes a long time to create a compressed file. (One poster talked about creating a dictionary where it took 24 hours to create the High Compression file.) My limited tests here indicate it decompresses about as quickly as Standard compression, so whatever they are doing is asymmetric.

Quote:
And I can relate - I'm a pack-rat myself.

______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote