View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #146
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
There are improvements in 0.7.35. Not sure if they are improved enough.
Hi chaley... yes I had noticed thankyou I hadn't quite expected the changes so quickly when I said "over time" the behaviour might change though, haha.

It is definitely more user friendly imho. The point about selection being maintained is just a nicety to ensure that if you did have a lot of books visible and had been looking at one well down the list triggering your decision to do an action in the tag viewer that you don't have to "find where you were up to" again.

There is one last action missing that would pretty much make my plugin redundant (albeit at the expense of it still taking an extra click or two). That is locating and scrolling to an item in the tag viewer. It was actually an idea I had for a GUI plugin. Something like:

Show in tag viewer
-> Author
-> Series
-> Publisher

When you have thousands of series/authors etc it can still be a bit of a faff to locate the right group to do the renaming, particularly if you also have multiple custom groups that are open etc. So if I am on a book in the grid and want to rename the series, I could r/c Show in tag viewer -> Series, have the tag viewer pop open if not visible, expand the series node and scroll to ensure that series name is visible. I know that treeview is used rather "uniquely" in that it does not show selections currently so not sure if you can visibly highlight the correct row but at least bringing it on screen would be a huge timesaver. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Insisting on bracketed numbers was a safety measure. In fact, the bracket must be at the end. The problem is that some calibre users almost certainly have series named like 'Clap of Doom 1 [xx]' and Clap of Doom 2 [xx]. These people would be rightfully annoyed if editing them changed the series to 'Clap of Doom [1]' etc.
Yes I understood the flexibility to have numbered series, which is why I said it might be "too late". However I still think it "could" be done, by making an assumption that the last number separated by a space. So if I typed "Clap of Doom 2" it interprets that to mean "Clap of Doom [2]". If I type "Clap of Doom 1 2" it makes this "Clap of Doom 1 [2]".

The other suggestion I had was the closing bracket. In other words currently if you type "Clap of Doom 1 [2" and hit enter you end up with a mess of "Clap of Doom 1 [2 [1]" . Could it not at least detect that I did not end the series with "]" and add that in for me. That would mean you could just backspace over the last bracket (or select with the mouse from the number onwards), retype the number and hit enter. I just find the square brackets a *pita* from an editing point of view particularly when renumbering a large series that a couple of minor tweaks could make it less "picky" and easier to use.