View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
Aukel
Aukel began at the beginning.

Device: Used MSReader on Laptop; then ony PRS-500; now HanLin V3
Please Help: Good format for reading?

Hiya,

So I had a PRS-500 for years and loved it.

Found no problem converting books using Calibre, or just using rtf files.

Then it broke, bottom half of the screen faded until it stopped being readable.

So I bought a HanLin V3 since it is available in Aus and I can actually get a warranty for it, which is nice.

So I got it, plonked the new firmware from Jinke on it and proceed to try and load a book onto it.

No problem with the loading just with the viewing and not going insane.

Here are my results:
.txt files - Font is too large I barely get two and a half paragraphs to the page.
.pdf files - on smallest zoom, way to small to read, on medium zoom, the page is split across two pages so the first page is full but the second page is only about a quarter of a page.
.doc - font too large

So then I though I would try .fb2 files.
After working my way through elementary Russian to find and download some software I managed to get "Any to FB2" working.
If I convert from a .doc, .rtf, or .htm file it puts the whole book in italics, and gives me a left margin of about an inch and a half.
So I converted a text file to fb2 and it was good.

Finished that book and thought well swell, I can start converting books and reading to my hearts deisre.
So I convert another book over and now this book has random sections in large font, or italics, or weird margins, all within the one book.

So my round about way of getting to a question leaves me with this:

What is a good format for reading on the HanLin v3, I am happy to run conversion software happy to reformat, happy to use macros, happy to do anything that is reproducable, and gives me a decent book format.

Please Help!!!
Aukel is offline   Reply With Quote