View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Surprising reactions to Kobo's bookshelf view

I showed my dad the Kobo reader today and he was the second person to be very taken by the bookshelf view. It might seem like a silly frill to some, but I am starting to notice that everyone I have showed this to really responds to it. I think the text-only views like on the Kindle really seem more like a computer to people, especially non-techie people. But seeing the actual shelf of books breaks that wall a little. Dad immediately started paging through the screens and commenting on several of the books I had (he noticed 'The Devil in the White City' on there, asked me if I read it yet, and when I said not yet, he said I should and that he thinks I'll really like it). The cover view made the titles seem like *books* to him and not computer files. It brought back fond memories for me of the books we used to share when I was growing up, of that voyeuristic pleasure of beginning my summer breaks at his house with a visit to the bookshelf to check out the new stuff. It was interesting. I hadn't really thought a feature like this was a big deal one way or the other, but it seems to be evoking a response in the people I show it to.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote