View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 05:24 AM   #19
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The problem appears to be that not all NAS devices support all the semantics required to access the files across the network under all scenarios. For this reason it is not officially supported although you may find it works with a particular hardware/software combination. The issue seems to apply in particular to handling locking of database records across a LAN.

I have successfully run of a variety of NAS devices for some time by having the main library held on a mapped drive (I am using Calibre under Windows) and holding the database itself on a local drive. Holding the database on a local drive (SSD based) also helps with performance of Calibre. I then have a job that periodically syncs the local copy of the Calibre metadata.db file to the correct location in the Calibre library on the NAS so that the NAS copy is self-contained in the event of problems with my PC.

Whether this is likely to change when (if) Calibre finally gets its database layer able to support multi-user access I have no idea.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote