View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool a possibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfiera View Post
I've noticed that some epubs have embedded 4 True Type Charis fonts making up for about 5 MBs. I'm not particularly fond of that font as I rather use the iPad's default Palatino which I think is good for reading on screen.

Two questions:

- Will removing these fonts break anything in the epub? I believe that if the style sheet is referencing these fonts and they are not found, the rendering will default to the system font, correct?

- Right now, for removing the fonts I explode the epub, remove the fonts from the fonts folder and rebuild the epub. Is there an option in the GUI to remove the embedded fonts - and perhaps all references to them in the style sheet?

Many thanks
i'm not speaking from experience with this problem, but i'd think that if you were to convert the epub to mobi (i don't think that mobi stores any embedded fonts [i could be wrong]) then convert the mobi back to epub maybe you might lose those embedded fonts in the process. others may comment that i'm all wet (and that's ok), but i thought it worth mentioning it as an idea to try.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote