View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 04:30 AM   #36
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I know that this topic has been done to death in other threads, but could you please supply documentation for this statement? Case law? Statutes?

Do you know of anyone who has ever been sued or charged?

I'm certainly not a lawyer, but for what it is worth I am sure that as long as one removes DRM only on books one has bought for one's own use any case would be thrown out of court since the complainant could not provide evidence of harm.

Regards, Alex
At the risk of straying into an overdone and off topic area. I know that a couple of years ago it was deemed illegal to circumvent copy protection systems in Australia. I know the primary target was decrypting DVDs but I wouldn't want to go up against a lawyer to prove removing copy protection from ebooks or music does not break this law.
If you want to search out the relevant law go ahead. I don't know of anyone who has been sued at this time. They are probably too busy trying to prevent people from downloading TV shows and the like from torrents due to the pathetic state of Oz TV at present.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote