View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 01:42 AM   #431
ACGAuthor
Enthusiast
ACGAuthor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
To me, it seems like that list of tags/genres mixes higher level genres (which I call primary) with lower level genres (which I call secondary, because they are not really hierarchic children of the primary).

In my own genre scheme, these are primary: science fiction, fantasy (not urban), urban fantasy, paranormal, horror. Some people consider all of those speculative fiction, but that is such a broad category that I don't find it useful.

Magic, for example, can apply to any of the primary genres I mentioned (except arguably science fiction), which is why I consider magic secondary.
My "High" Genres are as follows:

Family-Friendly (Childrens or Young Adult type stuff)
M/F Romance
M/M Romance
SFF/UF/PNR

If I made the top-tier genres any more specific, then I'd have many more top tiers than I really want.

Within a Top Tier, I might have collections for a specific author, a specific series, or a specific tag (eg. Western Romance, Historical Romance, Paranormal Romance.) Or, as eschwartz and I were discussing, in the genre where I have way too many authors to keep track of, I might also have collections for authors by alphabetical groupings.
ACGAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote