Thread: Need help
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast
Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None Currently
Question Need help

I am looking to buy a new ereader, but before that i thought i'd ask everyone what format support i should be looking for. I don't want any formats like Mobi that are owned by a single company (Amazon) which could potentially be gone in the future (as unlikely as that is in Amazon's case). Also, i'd prefer one that devices i buy in the future might support. If i buy all my books from Amazon and decide 2 years down the line i want a nook or something i will be screwed. I know you can convert books to different formats using Calibre, but i've had some books get messed up after a format change, so i'd rather not.

I only know about Mobi so far. How is ePub? Is it owned by anyone in particular? What formats should i keep an eye out for? When i buy my ereader i will be looking for one without much of an ecosystem or an open one, because i will be using DRM free books, whether i buy them that way or i make them that way myself. So which formats are usually sold by DRM free stores?

Sorry if this is a weird question, or if it's in the wrong place. I couldn't see a better place to ask it. And as always, any help is greatly appreciated .
Big McLargeHuge is offline   Reply With Quote