View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 11:45 AM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
The reasons are multiple. First you have to think outside of the throwaway culture we're maintained in by multinationals; where everything must be consumed and destroyed to make place for the 'new'.

-You can lend your copy of the book while keeping your reader.
-You can leave your bulky book home and carry only the reader with you. Or leave the reader home to preserve it because you will be reading in a nasty environment.
-Not all text is trivial enough to be read only once.
-Paper is the only way works can be preserved for centuries, as e-content can be lost or destroyed with one EM wave in a flash. I've lost pictures, texts and drawings due to computer conversions, never to see them again. Even CDs have limited durability in tropical weather. I have some files stored on floppies that can't be read because the software used to create them does not exist anymore;which brings me to the next reason.
-Ebabel. No way here to maintain works alive for a long time.

These are just a few, we could go on and on about it...

One thing has to be made clear. E-content is for consumtion, P-content is for safekeeping. There is no other way around it!

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 01-04-2007 at 01:11 PM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote