View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I will only talk about fonts that are freely available.

Lexia DaMa is very, very similar to Caecilia.
I have used Corel Draw! and I have made samples of identical text in both fonts. I have made both semi-transparent (with diffenent colors) and I have put one text on another to compare them. The difference is *very* small. What distinguishes *Kindle version* of Caecilia 55 from other fonts is that Kindle version has hand-tweaked bitmaps embedded in font for certain sizes.
Lexia is free, Caecilia is expensive, commercial font.

My long time favourites are Gentium, Gentium Book basic, and Ubuntu font family http://font.ubuntu.com/

Many people here like Fontin.

There are also many decent fonts that are available for various Linux distributions, because fonts distributed with Windows are in fact proprietary and non-redistributable.
Fonts used as base fonts in Linux distributions are: dejavu fonts, linux libertine, droid (paid for by Google for their Android project), and others. Just have a look at Ubuntu Linux repositories.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote