View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 12:08 AM   #28
pbennett
Enthusiast
pbennett began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero View Post
First, let me say I am not trolling but I am just curious if it is considered a major feature of the Kindle that it can surf the web from those that own a Kindle? In other words, if it did not have that functionality would it make a big difference?

I honestly do not see the allure of surfing on a screen with such a slow refresh rate, no color and only over 3g which is much slower than Wifi. I have a Nook but could care less to surf the web with it. It is enough of a pain on my Iphone 3gs although I can maneuver much better with my fingers, zoom and move much faster using my finger than I imagine a Kindle can using its toggle.

I feel like I am missing something.

It's not necessarily for web browsing - often it's just web *access*. A perfect example is feedbooks.com Kindle Download guide. It's a Kindle format book of all of feedbooks public-domain content organized by author, by title, etc. Every book has a download link - clicking it while reading just switches to the browser (which ends up being an empty page) where you get a prompt from the Kindle confirming if you want to download the content to the device's memory (it'll download any of its supported formats). Boom - you've got that public domain book on your Kindle without ever having to use your computer and download through USB.

The download guide even has a link on its cover that lets you update the guide itself - downloading the latest version.
pbennett is offline   Reply With Quote