View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #74
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I believe that, in that circumstance, you would (technically) be breaking the law in downloading the book from Fictionwise. Fictionwise are perfectly within their rights to sell it - it's up to you to know that you shouldn't buy it.
And why don't they do the same with geographic restrictions? If a given publisher does not have the right to sell something in a country, does the reason matter? It can be because of a contract, or because of public domain differences, or whatever... I, as a customer, should see no difference, it's all a publisher/bookseller affair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
If they're selling in that country, it's their responsibility to know that their goods are legal. It's not the buyer's responsibility to confirm that a store is stocked with legal goods. I certainly don't go to a bookstore and research every potential purchase to find out if it's not violating copyright.

That digital content sales are considered to happen in the country of the buyer is ridiculous--but because of that, FW should be turning *off* sales to any country they don't know they have the right to sell in.
Exactly. I remember saying the same with all the Amazon-1984 affair...

But what interests me here is the difference between copyright/PD and geographic restrictions. They try to "sell" us geographic restrictions as something they must do to stay legal, yet they completely ignore copyright law differences...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote