View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #21497
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
because I KNOW these things!
it may not rain there, but you do get freezing temps at night, right?

Yes, which is why I intend to follow Stitchawals advice. Also, we do have rain, and when it comes usually flash flood come along with it. You can clearly see the paths on the trails.... I know to stay clear. And I know that even what looks like shallow water can sweep you away in a heartbeat. Amazing how many people here try to cross that 'little stream' and have to be rescued......in town!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Are you ready for this? The flashlight is not so much for finding your way as it is for psychological comfort when stranded... although it will help you if you need to walk in the dark. Personally, when I get stuck in a strange area after dark, I just hole up and wait until morning. I figure it's better than twisting an ankle trying to find my way out.

And Stitchawl? The WOODS? I'm in the desert mountains. Just some scrub ironwoods and a few other oversized bushes.......
We used to hike in the Angles National Forest and in the Sierras. Probably the same sort of 'high desert.' Scrub brush, creosote bushes (which REALLY burn hot and long!) the occasional Ponderosa, Sugar, or Jeffery Pine standing alone (three of their cones will burn for about 30 minutes, hot enough to boil water,) etc. Just be sure to stay out of the dry stream beds at night time... Ya never know what was going on, weather-wise, 50 miles upstream.

Stitchawl[/QUOTE]

Creosote and scrub brush, yes, but not a single Ponderosa, Sugar or Jeffrey or any other kind of pine in the White Tanks.......course, I haven't gotten to the top........yet.........
The only time you'll see me there after dark is with a Ranger guided group, or if I've really screwed up......then at least the flashlight will let me see whats about to eat me!!!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote