View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #15
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Technically, I don't really need that many hard drives. But I do have a lot of data, and a bunch of external hard drives that would be nice to put internal. I also tend to always have extra drives that I prefer to make use of rather than to spend money on a larger replacement drive. A lot of current systems also support RAID options, which I would like to try out. Plus I also like to have an internal drive to do frequent backups. (An external drive is still needed for backups on a less regular basis, but for the frequent stuff a separate internal drive should be sufficient.)
Hi bob,

From my experience traditional RAID it's rarely worth it for home users, as it tends to be tricky to config and manage.
For your needs I'd take a look at Drobo (or infrant readyNAS if you are up to it)
Basically it's an auto-expanding usb RAID array. (so no need to ever rebuild)
You'll have ever-expanding redundant storage
While a bit expensive, and slow, Drobo it's easy, somehow portable and transparent to the OS and the user. (plus, then you have your external backup...)

So, my advice, get a value (>$400) brand pc and a Drobo.(or even better , an infrant)

(on the other hand if you are gonna use Ubuntu then, by all means, go for it )

Just my two cents, anyway.

Last edited by BKeeper; 05-20-2008 at 02:02 PM.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote