View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 08:04 AM   #14
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I don't want to be forced to make collections out of custom columns.

For example, my major need for a custom column is for the origin of the file. I want to be able to label something as being from MobileRead, Project Gutenberg, Feedbooks, or whatever. There would be no value whatsoever to me, and unnecessary clutter, in having collections by those names. They're not something I select books to read by; they're something I need to manage books in Calibre. If they're forced to become collections, they'll be MUCH less useful to me, and most likely to a lot of other users as well. Either there should be a way to choose if you want them to be collections or not (would having the column name in square brackets, like is done now with tags, be a viable option? though I'd rather a column-attributes dialog box). or they shouldn't be collections at all, and if someone really wants to make such a collection, they'd have to use a tag as they do now. There are a LOT of library-management purposes for custom columns that would be unwanted as collections.

Yes/No/? would work fine, and you're right, the searching would be more intuitive.

Don't be too sure that everyone understands spreadsheets, by the way. I'm thinking of my mother-in-law. Spreadsheets are familiar to people who work in offices, or who use their computers for things other than web-surfing and email, but I don't think there's any reason to believe that only those people are likely to use calibre, especially as ebook readers become more mainstream.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote