View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #41
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Well I have 6 e-book readers:
Amazon Kindle, 2 Sony 500's, Sony 505, Ebookwise 1150 and a BeBook

But I finally promised myself that I will NOT buy any more readers for at least 2 years.

It started out innocently enough: I took the plunge and bought a Ebookwise 1150 and life was good. Just a couple of weeks later, the Sony 500 came out. E-ink was new and all the rage.

I went to my local Borders store to just see what e-ink looked like and see if it was really better than my Ebookwise. Well when I got there, I looked at the Sony 500 on display and thought that they had a promo decal on it or something. I picked it up, pushed a button and realized that the text was real!! I totally thought that it was a sticker at first--it was just so clear.

So I instantly fell in love with e-ink. I bought one right away--even thought I was supposed to be "just looking." Grrr.

So I get home am enjoying life again and start to think about selling my Ebookwise. But I wanted to save it as a back-up device. Then I noticed that Tiger Direct was selling Sony Readers for $50 (for like only a day or two). So I snapped up one for my girlfriend.

But she preferred paper books, so I had 2 sony's and the ebookwise. Well I sorta felt attached to all of them and didn't want to get rid of them. THEN the Kindle comes out. Ok, I loved the look of. Bought it the first day it came out.

I love the Kindle, but I don't like the font and the line spacing. Then the Sony 505 is on display, I like the way it looks. I go for that. Then I think I'm done. Right?

Nope, then the BeBook comes out. Ultra-light, easy to change out the battery and I loved the variety of formats that you can read on it. But I found out that not all of the formats look that great on the BeBook. So I set it aside.

THEN I try OpenInkpot and reflash my BeBook with their software. With OpenInkpot on it, I can adjust the font, the line spacing, the word spacing and have unlimited decrease/increase sizes. I like the whole idea of it being indy programmers doing what they think is best.

So the BeBook, running OpenInkpot is my main reader right now. It doesn't do everything I would like. Doesn't do pics yet and it doesn't show up on my mac as a removable drive (the native BeBook software did though), but being able to throw, mobi, rtf, txt, and html files at it and have them all come out looking exactly the same solves my problems. I'm very picky about line spacing.

OpenInkpot reads other formats, but those are the most common formats I have. OpenInkpot is a really great product right now, and knowing that they are still working on it to make it even better is just an awesome thing to me.

So I'm thinking that I should sell some of my other devices. BUT I can't part with them because they are part of the history of e-book reading. But I'm done buying anything new for a while. I think. I hope. Probably. Maybe. Well depends on if I can adust fonts and line spacing on the new Kindle....

I try not to think that I could have bought a second friggin' scooter with the money I spent on e-book readers!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote