View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #17
bebop
bebop began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
sorry I wasn't very clear, I should have said the default translation dictionary

by default it opens the english dictionary, I suppose it does that because the books I read are in english, but that doesn’t bother me since I prefer to first read the definition and only if I still can’t understand the word I use the translation dictionary.

and with the 2.4.0 it still "remembers" what is my default translation dictionary
Ah, I see what you mean now, and yes, if I tell it to go to the translation dictionary then it does stick to German->English rather than "some-other-language->english" else. Still though, it's a bit annoying when you have to do this:

(1) touch word
(2) touch [A|Z] icon at the bottom
(3) touch "translation dictionary" -> go to a separate screen
(4) touch to go back to the book
(5) touch the "X" at the bottom right corner to close the options bar and go back to reading.

Instead, of doing this:

(1) touch word I don't recognize ->window pops up
(2) touch "X" at bottom right to close window and go back to reading.

Which would be possible if I had the option of saying (just once) "ok, Kobo, for now, I'm reading a German book. Set the default dictionary to "German->English" and let me save 3 steps.

I just timed myself with a stopwatch, and the difference in time to these two processes is about 5-7 seconds. I know this may not sound like a lot of time, but if you have to do this for every word you don't recognize over the course of a long book in a foreign language, it really does add up. It also creates a constant and tedious interruption that really makes reading less enjoyable. Hopefully they change this in future software versions so that you can set your "goto" dictionary.
bebop is offline   Reply With Quote