View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #1034
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
The password discussion was for the ODPS catalog. Nothing to do with the straightforward integration of Marvin with Dropbox.

ProfCrash, the easiest way is to move your whole calibre library to your Dropbox folder and then point calibre to that new location. Basically your calibre library is in Dropbox (and also still residing on your computer).
One hint, and this is where I think I went astray and it cost me hours of rebuilding some of my files...

When you move your library, make sure your metadata file goes with it. When I moved mine from the computer to Dropbox, somehow the metadata.db file got left behind. I didn't realize that immediately and it cost me some ginormous confusion. And I'm still dealing with having two separate files for almost every author in Dropbox - there's a Lastname/Firstname folder for each author, as well as a Firstname/Lastname folder. I don't know how the heck that happened, but there it is. I've been trying to figure out a fix short of going through the Dropbox Calibre folder author by author and eliminating the older one, but there's no consistency as far as one or the other being the most recently modified. I could've probably fixed it early on if I'd realized what had happened

Here's what the Calibre FAQ says about that metadata folder, under the section about moving your library from one computer to another:

"Note

A calibre library is just a folder which contains all the book files and their metadata. All the metadata is stored in a single file called metadata.db, in the top level folder. If this file gets corrupted, you may see an empty list of books in calibre. In this case you can ask calibre to restore your books by doing a right-click on the calibre icon in the toolbar and selecting Library Maintenance->Restore Library."

I think I could've done the "Restore Library" thing early on if I'd realized what had happened with the metadata folder. By the time I figured it out I'd already made changes and I'm not sure it would've worked. I love Calibre, but I don't always understand it. I need a "Calibre for Dummies"! Anyway, even if I leave it as is, it's well worth being able to access my library from anywhere to download to Marvin. I should probably just leave it and stop obsessing over getting it "perfect".