View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
As an ipad 2 owner, I look at the Asus Transformer and think "It's about time!"

In my humble opinion, Asus has the first product that is a serious contender. It creates the Coke vs. Pepsi debate (equivalent quality products that are reasonably priced, but appeal to different customers). Asus knew that price was important if you want to knock out the established brand that has a head start, so they priced their tablet with a $100 discount. They also knew that screen quality was important (that's the first thing that you notice on a tablet!) and they matched the ipad's ips display and upped the resolution. They also knew that they needed to offer something unique, so they created an innovative laptop dock.

To me, Samsung failed in the past with unreasonable pricing for the Galaxy Tab (even though it was a nice device). The new Galaxy Tabs are great (thin, good hardware, equivalent price) but they come off as "me too" vs. the ipad (especially with the lack of removable storage and USB) instead of fresh like the Asus.

Motorolla dropped the ball with the Xoom too. It took a long time to bring the wifi only model to market, and people already formed an opinion of them by then. Then, they didn't offer a $499 option to compete with apple. On top of all that, the sd card slot didn't even work (not sure if they fixed it yet). Finally, the screen quality is a notch below the ipad and asus screens, and the weight distribution makes it more uncomfortable to hold compared to the competition.

I see no reason to wait on tablet now that the Asus is available. I think the Toshiba Thrive will actually join the Asus as a serious contender as well (great port options, removable battery, low price), but the Asus will still hold its own. Even the HP tablet looks to be a nice alternative, although I think it will be hard for Web OS to compete with the app selection of android or ios.

As a gadget addict, I'll ditch my bargain basement android device (Pandigital Novel) and pick up a real android tablet to compliment my ipad 2. I have no allegiance to any company, and just love a well made product. Had the Transformer been available when I bought my ipad 2, it would have been a tough decision to make!
spot on observation I couldn't agree more.

Moto soo dropped the ball, getting in bed with Verizon and giving them exclusive first rights was a killer.

the xoom had alot of buzz following CES, if they introduced a 16G wifi only first, I think it would have been big success.

Soo good for Asus, all without any TV advertising, nor any physical store presence. Nice job indeed.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote