View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #26
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
One thing you might want to be aware of is that when an edition gets fixed and updated, Amazon Customer Service doesn't always let customers who've already bought the title know that there's an update (their emails regarding those tend to be kind of sporadic, except for truly major errors, according to some of our member authors who've updated, though perhaps they didn't check the right box to send out the notice), and Amazon doesn't send out the new version automatically to people who've already downloaded the book.
FYI - when the publisher (or indie author in the KDP) uploads a new version of the book, they have the option to check a box that tells Amazon that a correction was uploaded. They check one of three priorities - don't bother telling anyone or giving them the update, give them the option to update on the MYK page only or email everyone and let them know an update is available.

It's up to the publisher to decide to (a) allow existing customers to update and (b) to notify you. Not Amazon.

Some publishers, of course, just delete the old listing and create a new one, forcing you to repurchase to get the corrections (that you funded by buying early). Others don't give them to you, but they do exist (I had this happen on a book with major problems in Topaz, in the early days); for these, Amazon Kindle support can force an update (you can't get it just by re-purchasing, though, so you do need their help to make it work).

My last update notice, btw, said that my highlights and notes would be preserved, not deleted (as old ones did), so I wonder just how they manage that (may be tied to having true page number correlation, I suppose).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote