View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Thanks for the tip, Daffy4u. I knew about MobiPocket.com, because I used to get books there (to read on my PC) before I owned a Kindle. However, I was under the impression that Amazon had a much larger selection -- several of the books I recently bought from the Kindle store don't appear to be in MobiPocket.Com. (Either that, or MobiPocket's search engine isn't as good.)

But I'll maybe try again. It would certainly be easier than the iPod hassle.
It could very well be true that MobiPocket may not have all of the same books as Amazon and therefore not all of the samples you want.

I have a couple of other suggestions, neither of which I've tried.

This post is from the thread "Kindle app for iPhone and iPod Touch in iTunes Store". Maybe this will help you get the samples off the iPod. You may want to read the rest of the thread starting with this post #142.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbp View Post

<snip>

My iPhone isn't jailbroken, so I used the iPhone Backup Extractor (Google is your friend) and extracted the Kindle app from my latest iPhone backup. Within the folder for the app are the books (com.amazon.Lassen/Documents/eBooks), and I figured out which one was Ur by loading them into Calibre, which gave me the titles. I made the change quoted above to the kindlepid.py script, and was able to get my PID by using the serial number for my iPhone in the "Manage my Kindle" section on Amazon. Running the file through mobidedrm.py script produced a file I could load in Calibre and convert to LRF, which I then loaded to my PRS-505. Cover image transferred just fine, and from my cursory perusal of the book, everything looked correct.
I also learned from a CNET podcast about some software called Pod to PC (also Pod to Mac). It's main purpose it to get music and video off your iPod or iPhone onto your computer (in case your iTunes crashes and burns and you don't have your content backed up). I'm not sure how much access it give to the whole directory structure of the iPod but you can give it a try (I haven't).

If neither one of those works, I've seen mention of jailbreak apps that will do the job (can't remember where I saw the posts though).

Let me know how it goes.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote