View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Iirc, my local library "buys" a copy of the ebook. My local library uses Overdrive, too, and on their ebook page, it lists how many "copies" they have of a particular title and how many of those are available or lent out, much the same way they do for paper books. When I checked the FAQ, it mentioned something to the effect of you can request/recommend purchase of specific titles but it needs to be available via Overdrive. I think you can go to http://search.overdrive.com but so far, that seems to only list what titles are available in what library so it may not be very complete. I would suggest checking online ebook retailers (e.g. booksonboard, fictionwise, etc) since they seem to have the most complete selections. Search for titles available in Adobe PDF or Adobe ePub format. Chances are, those will also be available on Overdrive for your library to purchase.

Oh, and if you're going to be borrowing books from the library, don't bother with the Kindle. Just stick to Sony Reader. Less hassle transferring borrowed ebooks that way. The Kindle doesn't have native support for Adobe DRM protected formats, and Amazon has taken steps to prevent you from using ebooks with regular Mobipocket DRM (which currently encompasses library ebooks). Sure, there are hacks to get around this limitation, but going the Sony Reader route is less troublesome.
I am well aware of the "limitations." I tend not to pay attention to them. I had Sony PRS-500 and bought a Kindle after it broke. Personally, I like the Kindle as a device much more than the Sony. I have since purchased a Kindle 2 (I like it that much). I'll gladly work around the DRM issue if it allows me to continue using the Kindle.

Thank you for the information. I'm interested in what the NGLP has to say about the issue. It's odd that there's a much larger selection of audio books than there is ebooks. This seems to be true of many Overdrive libraries. I wonder what it is about audio books that makes them more readily available.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote