View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 05:41 AM   #15
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige
mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheryjensen View Post
As for single purpose devices... where is there one of those? None of the currently manufactured Sony or Amazon devices for reading eBooks are single use devices, they all have other features. At the very least they have audio playback so you can listen to music while you read. The kindles can browse wikipedia and more... They aren't PDAs but they aren't dedicated readers either. Maybe some more obscure reader I have never bothered to look into is dedicated... I guess that one wikipedia device is fairly dedicated. But dedicated devices are already extremely uncommon, I don't think anything is going to change there.
First up, I think you hit the nail on the head about what you use the device for. For me it's purely reading... but for someone who want to make notes, look up words in a dictionary, etc then totally, yes, you couldn't do it without a touch screen.

And secondly... yes, all readers are not "purely" dedicated readers... as you said, some have at least audio playback... (505 as an example). But it's still relatively simple compared to others... which goes back to what the consumer wants from the experience. A software engineer who needs to read tech manuals and make notes would need something much more functional. A guy who listens to his ipod and reads bad sci-fi would probably prefer a 505 (or something similar).

But... I do stand by the fact that some of the best and most useful technology out there are the "gadgetry that does one thing". I have to clarify that my sentence wasn't being restricted to readers

http://bit.ly/1QGGLx

mukoan is offline   Reply With Quote