View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #11
alstein
Enthusiast
alstein began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
A book in kepub format (either sideloaded by Calibre's KoboTouchExtended driver or synced from Kobo) takes up a lot more space than the same book sideloaded as a plain epub, both for the books themselves and in the database.
I checked the individual files on my Sony Reader and on my Kobo Glo. There are size differences; for example, on my Kobo one of the books - Decision Points takes up 54.3 mb, while the same book on my Sony reader takes up 46 mb. Another example is Jerusalem which takes up 33.14mb on my Kobo, while the same book takes up 23.7 mb on my Sony reader. But the magnitude of the difference is not the same as the overall difference in the two ereaders. When I look at the folders on my Sony Reader I found a folder within the Sony Reader folder called media which contains 190 files totaling 392MB, the bulk of the storage. Those are the epubs . Then there is a folder called database with 179 files, 345 folders which takes up a total of 2.8 mb.

On my Kobo Glo, I found a folder within the .kobo folder called "kepub" which contains 166 files and uses 709MB, almost double the space that the Sony Reader epub files use.
alstein is offline   Reply With Quote