View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #54
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Oui Oui.

Find it interesting that the French as a nation are so stringent with their language trade, going so far as to erect monumental tariffs and creating a governmental organisation whose sole purpose is to transmogrify non-Francais words, and retro-actively 'retire' those that all ready made it into the country.

As a people, I find them quite tasty though.
;-
Cthulu, remind me never to accept, if you invite me for dinner...

Christian : in fact, the original idea of this thread was searching for an alternate word for "reader" because of the confusion with the format with that name (although personally i do think that for simplicity and convenience eventually "reader" or "e-reader" will become the genericised term, like now we say "kleenex" for a paper handkercheif).

i do like the term liseuse but not specifically because it is french ; i say "mail" not "mél" (in french also) and i think that just as english is richer for borrowing from other languages, so is french ; sometimes, it is much more cumbersome to create a franco-français paraphrase when there exists a shorter, precise word in english, so why not use it.

personally, i do not want my liseuse and my telefonino to be the same device : i want my telefonino to be much much smaller than my liseuse (or maybe i should say, i want my liseuse to be much bigger than my telefonino), and i want my liseuse with a nice e-ink screen (or better, with future technology...), to give me a pleasant reading experience. in the métro, i read on my telephone sometimes, but i will never *prefer* that : tiny screen, ugly text, no illustrations...

i do beleive in the future of a "text-only" device or at least a "text-principally" device (even if it incorporates other features in the future) because multi-media (video etc.) and reading need much different technology, unless there is a way to make a screen which can switch between e-ink and regular cellphone / computer screen. i hate reading on my computer, the light hurts my eyes.

maybe for some people there is no need for a specific device for reading, but i think it is completely worthwhile and i suspect there might be a few more as well...

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 02-24-2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: found a typo
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote