View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #33
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
It's a bit complicated with the naming. The Kindle is the SSH host (or "server"), the PC is the SSH client.

However, for VNC, it's the other way around in our scenario. So the PC is the "VNC server", the Kindle is the Client.

When you use VNC over the USB networking link directly, parts of the Kindle software will kill the connection under some circumstances in regular intervals. I don't know if it's different via Wifi, but I doubt it - actually I think that this "feature" had only Wifi (and WAN for relevant devices) connections in mind and applies to the USB connection due to not being explicitly disabled there.

The connection dropping does not affect SSH connections. This opens a loophole: SSH has a "forwarding" feature. It can create tunnels for TCP connections (which is the protocol that VNC uses). The important thing is: It can open these tunnels for both directions (independent of the "direction" of the SSH connection). (NB: In fact, all connections mentioned are bi-directional. They just differ in which side initiates them.)

I will need a bit of time to properly describe how it fits together in layman terms. But actually there are description of the general workings on the web. Just google for "ssh forward vnc connection". It's a typical use case for VNC because VNC has no strong authentification/encryption, so when VNC is used over the web, SSH tunneling to the VNC server is often used. In our case, we would just create the tunnel in the different direction (or open the SSH connection in the different direction, depending on how you see it).

Actually, opening the SSH tunnel could also be used to start the VNC client on the Kindle - and both things could then be triggered by the host PC in one go.

But a fair warning: It's a bit complicated and I won't find enough time soon to write it all down. Maybe it gives the right ideas for others to come up with more practical advise or scripts.

Last edited by hawhill; 04-15-2013 at 06:01 AM.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote