View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 12:27 AM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Having seen a lot of personally credible recommendations for Perdido Street Station, I finally got around to reading it. I remain somewhat ambivalent about it. I was enjoying Miéville's writing, and atmosphere, and created "world" and its politics but the story/plot itself left me somewhat cold and uninterested. I'm in a position where I want to read more of Miéville, but didn't feel the need to rush out and buy everything.

This is in no way meant as some kind of contradiction, Gideon (I just mention that, as sometimes people can see different subjective opinions as opposing opinions, though I doubt you will ). Any criticism I have is relative, and, for me, my ambivalence doesn't discredit in my mind China Miéville's deserved reputation. I think I'm just wanting someone to say "Oh, well, in that case, read this one - more politics/world; less monster". Coincidentally, this new book sounds like it might be a contender.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote